Saturday, December 09, 2006

Crowds

I went to Walmart today to do some more Christmas shopping. What a mistake! Someone please tell me: why do people INSIST on stopping their carts in the middle of the aisle? Can't they PLEASE move to one side or the other? I mean at my Walmart the aisles are barely big enough for two carts to pass. I actually stayed quite calm though.

I just finished reading The Mephisto Club by Tess Gerritsen. Its another serial killer book, but a bit odd. Usually Gerritsen is pretty straightforward with her explanations. This one was rather different. The plotline is this: there is a brutal serial killer in Boston. At the scene of his murders he leaves strange symbols and latin phrases. Is he a satanist, or just trying to through the police off of his trail? He has caught the attention of the Mephisto Club, a club of eccentrics who study the nature of evil. Then a detective is killed on the door step of one of the members. It seems that the killer has become interested in the Mephisto Club as well. Detectivc Jane Rizzoli and medical examiner Dr. Maura Isles have to decipher the symbolism and catch the killer before he strikes again.

Gerritsen seemed to use a lot of ancient symbolism in this and she definitely left it open for a sequel. The book was a page-turner and captured my interest pretty quickly.

No comments: