Monday, December 18, 2006

Book Banning

There have been some stories in the news again about people trying to ban the Harry Potter books in some schools. The challengers claim that it promotes witchcraft. Its fine if you don't want your children to read the series, but please don't try to prevent other people from reading them. I happen to like the series, but I'm sure that there are many people who do not. One thing you can't argue with: J.K. Rowling has gotten kids to read. Each time the newest book is released, the waiting list in my library is HUGE.

The American Library Association has a list of the 100 most frequently challenged books between 1990 and 2000. Out of the 100 listed, I have read 42 (or at least 1 in the listed series). I will say that according to the statistics from the ALA, most of the challenges are in schools. I wonder if people realize that when they ask for restrictions to be placed on books that that makes many people want to read it more.

Ok...I'm off my soapbox.

No comments: