Sunday, December 03, 2006

A Beautiful View

Here is one of my favorite views. It is the view from Jefferson's Rock at Harper's Ferry, West Virginia. This is the time of year that I want to hibernate. It is dark when I come home from work and the weather is so cold. Even when we have a few nice days like we did last week, I am stuck inside the library and unable to enjoy it. So I like to look at these pleasant views of places that I have visited and imagine that I am there in nice, warm, sunny weather.

I have not reviewed a book in a while, so I really should get back to it. Terry Pratchett has written tons of books. Most of them are fantasy works and they take place in this fantasy world called Discworld. They are truly funny. The ones I especially recommend are his three Tiffany Aching books:
  1. The Wee Free Men
  2. A Hat Full of Sky
  3. Wintersmith

You definitely must read them in order. The series starts with young 9 year old Tiffany Aching travelling to Fairyland to rescue her sticky little brother, Wentworth. Its a harsh journey, so to assist her she has the Wee Free Men, or Nac Mac Feegles. Tiny blue, heavily tattooed Pictsies (yes that's how it is spelled) that speak with a heavy Scottish brogue and love nothing more than a strong drink and a good fight. The Feegles are the best part of the books. Very comical. I also recommend this on audio so that you can get the full effect of the Scottish accent.

No comments: