Monday, June 18, 2007

Opinions

I just realized something about myself. I ALWAYS watch what I say, even to the point of keeping my own opinions silent, to avoid hurting anyone's feelings. Now thats good to a certain extent. You can give someone honest criticism without being harsh. But there are some cases where it can go too far the other way. When you are afraid to say that you didn't like a book because someone else raved about it, thats going too far the other way. Nothing really triggered this, I guess I just thought about it as I was commenting on various blogs today.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tend to be repelled by people who constantly and loudly state their opinions during conversation.

I don't always feel the need to offer mine, but I'm not shy if asked.

Kathy said...

I'm like that too and it's mostly because of what Liz said -- I'm repelled by people who feel the need to constantly and loudly express their opinions.

But I'm also afraid that people won't like me; my in-laws never knew how I felt about things because I was afraid they wouldn't accept how different I was from them.

Iamthebookworm said...

Liz...I think I get repelled by the same people but the biggest reason is I'm afraid of not being liked.

Katya...I think I am the same way

Caro said...

I keep lots of my opinions to myself for fear of starting a flaming war on my blog. I won't usually touch politics with a ten-foot pole.

Linda said...

Hiya Bookworm!!

Iamthebookworm said...

Caro...I'm with you about politics! Thats such a touchy subject no matter what your feelings!

Beady...Hiya Beady! Glad to see you!

Bearette said...

Now I'm curious what book you didn't like (the one that other people were raving about)...

Iamthebookworm said...

Bearette...The one book that comes to mind was Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier. And aanother one was Atonement. I hated the characters and did not care what happened to them. But all my co-workers were raving about them.

Bearette said...

That's funny...I didn't really like those books either! My mom loved them, though.