Saturday, May 05, 2007

I return!

I just realized that I have not posted since the end of April! I have been reading your blogs, but have not had much to say. Today I went to a used bookstore and found interesting old books. One is the Foxfire book which is full of old-timey mountain crafts etc. Another one is on Bacon's Rebellion which took place in Jamestown. I know, I know...boring. I actually majored in history in college, and having been born and raised in Virginia, this kind of thing fascinates me. I look looking in used bookstores and trying to find treasures!

Speaking of Jamestown, the Queen visited the lovely state of Virginia this week. She stopped in Richmond and gave a speech to Virginia's General Assembly in the newly restored capitol building. I was at work, but Governor Kaine gave leave to state employees. Since the library was open, I got 8 hours of holiday leave. The next day she went to Jamestown and toured the historical area. I believe she went to the Kentucky Derby today.

And now for the continuation of my floor saga. The insurance is going to cover replacing my laminate flooring. It is the kitchen that is damaged but the flooring goes all the way into the dining room and back the hallway. My insurance company is going to cover the replacement of the kitchen floor but not the rest of course. If the subflooring ends up being damaged (which I won't know until the pull out the old laminate) then I will have to call them back and get another estimate. I am HOPING that everything is fine! I went to a flooring company and of course the laminate in my house is so old now that the company does not make that color anymore. But I found something REALLY REALLY close. I can live with it. Their estimate and the insurance company estimate is really close, so I do not have to pay for much above my deductible. So my annoying sister starts nagging and saying that I should call the insurance company and say they cannot match it and see what they say. Uhh...no? This repair and claim is minor. I am NOT going to nag and risk getting my premiums increased just for something this little. I want them to be there for anything MAJOR that happens, and since we are dealing with a house filled with 30 year old pipes, anything can happen. My dear sister just annoys me with her nagging and then she cops an attitude when I tell her I'm not going to nag. ESPECIALLY since I got the check in a week and a half!

Enough rambling!

3 comments:

Kathy said...

The history books sound great to me! My best friend from god knows how long ago is a librarian at VCU. I visited her and we went to Williamsburg. I had more fun there than I ever would have at a theme park. We also went to Monticello -- we wanted to get to Jamestown but didn't.

Caro said...

The crafts book doesn't sound boring at all.

We need to call our insurance company for a claim but I'm afraid the rates will go up.

Silly how we pay the monthly bills but don't dare to use it. :)

Joan said...

I can still remember the Foxfire series from when I was a librarian. One of the books in the series answered a question for a school assignment so we made it a reference item until all the students were done with their homework. For the life of me, I cannot remember exactly what the question was and now it's going to drive me crazy!

Also, I don't blame you for not wanting to go at it with your insurance company. We were in the same boat as you several years ago with a leak and buckled flooring and we too accepted the insurance company's monetary payout!