Wednesday, April 25, 2007

House Repairs

The latest in my home repair saga is the laminate flooring in my kitchen. Last month, I discovered a leak under my kitchen sink. It was a slow leak and I did not discover it until it had seeped under the laminate flooring. Now the floorboards are buckling. So friday, may day off since I work this saturday, I get to have the claims adjuster give me an estimate. Then I get to have the floor replaced. What fun! And my county raised the real estate tax seven cents.

I have realized that to own a home means you will forever be broke.

I've been reading but no real reviews yet. I just read Jodi Picoult's newest: Nineteen Minutes. Its eerily timely. Its about a high school shooting. Its good, but read it when you are ready. Its tough just after Virginia Tech.

5 comments:

Joan said...

Until Hubby and I bought our home 18 years ago, I never lived in a house...only in apartments. When we finally signed the escrow papers, one of my friends insisted I watch "The Money Pit." It's a good thing they waited until AFTER I signed.

Sarah Louise said...

oh yeah. That's why I still rent.

Anonymous said...

I checked out Nineteen Minutes but didn't get to it before the due date. Sad! I'll have to wait for it again.

We just had to have roof repairs done... seemingly a small repair, but expensive! But the pride of home ownership is worth it, right? Uh...

Caro said...

I have a leak under my sink my hubby has conveniently forgotten AND I had to have the washing machine repairman out today. Oy.

Iamthebookworm said...

Joan...I have decided that I will be broke til I dieas long as I own a house.

Sarah Louise...its a pain, but since my parents sold me the house and gave me a good deal, my mortgage is MUCH less than decent apartment rental.

Liz...I just keep repeating that to myself!

Caro...my washer died a while ago too. I had to buy one. ANOTHER expense!