Saturday, May 26, 2007

Spam Posts

What is the deal lately with Spam Posts? For the second time in a week, I've had an anonymous comment with this bizarre statement. It looks like spam because it makes absolutely no sense. I may have to change my comment settings. Its getting annoying. Does anyone else have this problem?

I need suggestions! I am doing an internet searching class at my library at the end of June demonstrating how to tweak search engines to find what you want. Like using the advanced search options, limiting to a domain, choosing key words, etc. Here is my problem: I need good examples! I'm having trouble thinking of a good search topic or topics. Something beyond just a simple subject search. I had thought of doing a search for the history of one of the national parks and the people who were displaced, but that is MY interest. Someone else may not be as interested. Any ideas?

6 comments:

Sarah Louise said...

We all got that one. And using vw is your best defense, unless you want to go to "no anononymous." (I can't spell that word.)

Interesting searches...I could help with that...Of course, I did JUST get rid of my homework from that class in library school, and I never get more than reader's advisory down in the chillun's room, but...

I think the one on national parks is good.

How about...do you have my email? It's in my profile, let's "talk."

Kathy said...

I don't think there's anything wrong with using a search you're interested in. You have to use something, right? And there's no way you could guarantee that they'd be interested in any other topic you come up with. I like the national parks search and as long as you can use it to demonstrate all the internet features you want to show, I'd go with it.

Iamthebookworm said...

Katya, Thanks! I like to have a range of search examples, but I am familiar with the one that I have been practicing on.

Sarah Louise, I'm glad its not just me! I'll e-mail you.

Caro said...

I've got the spam too. But no penis-enlarging spam thus far. :)

BabelBabe said...

I think using something you are interested in and know about is perfectly valid. I do all my sample searches on running or breastfeeding studies or books : )OK, maybe not all....but seriously,. do what interest you and that you can teach well and don't worry about it.

Iamthebookworm said...

Caro...Its such a pain!

Babelbabe...thanks for the advice. I get sick of my own examples sometimes.