Monday, January 28, 2008

Healthy Living

Usually January is one of the worst months for me. Its cold, dark, and gloomy. This month has not been as bad. I've tried getting outside as much as I can and I turn all the lights on in the house. It burns electricity, but I'd rather pay the electric bill than be more depressed than usual.

This brings to mind my new theory. I suffer from depression, and have for years. I am getting back to my normal self again. And I think its the healthy eating that's doing it. The last time I felt this good (mentally) was the last time I really ate healthy food. So now I am concentrating on eating lots of fruits, veggies, beans, grains, etc. I really don't eat much meat. I am also trying to buy organic when I can. And when the weather turns nice, I am going to try to find our farmer's market and support local farmers. My theory is that the more I stay away from processed foods, and the more I eat healthy food, the better I feel mentally. And so far its true. Thats not to say that I won't splurge now and then. I am only human, but I don't eat this stuff as often as I used to. I am trying to find other ways to de-stress: yoga, meditation, journalling, hiking, etc. I think that's whats making the difference this time.

5 comments:

Bearette said...

That's great, I have found the same thing. I'm vegetarian, and of course I have a brownie sometimes, but I do feel better when I'm being healthy. Yoga helps, too. I like doing yoga DVDs because it's so convenient.

Joan said...

When I was working and having a difficult time coping with the stress at work, I attended a series of Stress & Anxiety classes. The doctor who led the class absolutely discussed the benefits of healthy eating and also mention many of the activities you listed so I think you are definitely on the right track.

Kathy said...

I think you're completely right about the food. My husband and I had been eating well -- lots of organic veggies -- fish but not any other meat. We degenerated back into our old eating habits and I'm noticing a big difference in how we both feel mentally. I don't like it.

Anonymous said...

We eat very little processed food in our house. I think I got on that path because my mom always cooked from scratch, but anyway- I really do think it's healthier to cut out as many of those additives and preservatives as possible.

Congratulations on your new lifesyle!

Caro said...

You've been a busy blogger. I read all your latest posts.

I think it's wise not to drive in the snow when you're not used to it. I wasn't laughing at you. That stuff is slippery.

Hooray on the healthy foods! I need to take a page out of your book. Maybe that's why I have been so depressed and have gained thirteen pounds. I need more fruit and veggies!