Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Apology!

I am sorry that I have been neglecting my blog lately. I have been really down on myself to the point where I figured that I was boring both online and in person, so I have stayed away from blogging. I have been visiting other blogs, I just may not have commented. SO! This year, my primary New Years Resolution is to be positive and stop my negative thinking. And I am going to get back to things that I like to do, including posting on my blog. I can't promise that it will be daily, but I am going to make it more regular. I am also going to cut myself a break and stop putting so much pressure on myself. I just make myself miserable that way.

I have been reading and keeping a written journal of the books I read. It helps when I am doing book lists for the library. But its in the other room right now and I don't want to get up so I don't have the author for one of the latest books I read.

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson. This is a true story about a man who after attempting (and failing) to climb K2, was nursed back to health by this tiny village in northern Pakistan. Mortenson pledged that he would return and, as repayment for their kindness, would build a school. This book tells how he accomplished this goal and how his plan continued to grow. Excellent book.

Slam by Nick Hornby. Hornby usually writes for adults, but this one is for teens. Sam is 15 and was born to an unwed teenage mom. He is pretty ordinary. Not bad at school and he loves to skate (skateboard). Then his girlfriend gets pregnant. And Sam's life starts to change dramatically. Hornby's book is great and not one of those "message" books. It is realistic and not preachy at all.

These are just quick summaries and reviews. I recommend both titles.

1 comment:

Joan said...

Welcome back to BlogLand...you've been missed. Here's hoping that 2008 finds us all having a fun and interesting year writing and reading posts. Happy New Year!