Friday, February 09, 2007

Taxes and customer service

Has anyone noticed that people seem nastier lately? I have had the rudest people in the library this week. If things don't go exactly their way, they demand to speak to the manager. Like the lady who put up a poster to advertise a meeting in the library. She put up 2. One was removed by us. We have very little wall space. She also put it up with packing tape. We aren't really supposed to use tape on the walls at all. When the situation was explained to her she demanded to speak to the branch manager (who just happened to be at a meeting). Then there are the people whodon't say thank you or anything after monopolizing my time to look up phone numbers. I don't mind looking it up. Its my job, but when there are a line of people behind you, at least says thanks! And the teenagers have been more wild than usual this week too. And just the other day my nephew said to me "don't people say excuse me anymore?" And he's 9! He understands better than some adults!

And I absolutely hate tax time at the library. The tax volunteers who are there 3 times a week are very nice. But I am SO tired of explaining that the appointments are all taken for the next two weeks. Call back on Monday morning and we will start with appointments for the week of the 20th. And trying to explain why the state of Virginia decided not to send forms to libraries this year. No, we weren't happy either. I'm sorry you have to drive to pick them up. You can find them online. Oh, you don't have a computer. etc. etc. etc.

On the bright side, I just finished Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. This came highly recommended by Carolyn. I'll have a review soon. It's a great book and pulled me right in.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sometimes work as an on-call librarian at one of my local public libraries when they're short-staffed on weekends. To be honest, I am less likely to accept shifts when 1) we're in the middle of tax season, and 2) when school science fair projects are coming due. Gah!

Joan said...

Your observations about the general atmosphere in libraries these days reminds me why I decided to retire a few years ago. And tax season...don't even get me started!

Iamthebookworm said...

Liz...I hate science fair season too. But taxes are the worst!

Joan...for the most part people are nice, but there are those few people who just think they are entitled.

Caro said...

People are nasty.

I used to work in customer service and hated it.