Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Is it the full moon?

I know there is a full moon at the end of the week. Could that be causing my anxiety? I am much more anxiety-ridden than usual. The car, the weather, messing up a notarization? Just worrying.

So far so good with my car. It has sputtered a bit but has not stalled again. I've been trying to baby it. And I just have tomorrow to get through.

The weather: They are calling for winter weather again tomorrow. Normally I would be a bit nervous, but I am supposed to work til 9PM tomorrow. And I hate driving at night anyway.

Notarization. This is not really a bit deal. I did not mess anything up. I followed my state rules. I helped this sweet old lady with a real estate closing today. Just notarizing her signature. Basically, I check her ID, put her under oath, and watch her sign. Well the title company messed up some things on the docs and put the wrong date, etc. Since I am responsible for the wording on the notary statement (ex: sworn and subscribed before me this___ day of ____.....) I changed the date to the correct one. And she changed the date in the document to the day she signed it. Exactly the way it should be, right? So why am I worrying? OY! I get so annoyed with myself!

I just finished a fun book today. It is called King Dork by Frank Portman. High school student Tom Henderson is a self-described dork. He is in a band, he's trying to learn how to play his guitar, and trying to deal with teachers who give dumb assignments like copy out the first chapter of The Catcher in the Rye. When he finds his deceased father's copy of the book, he attempts to discover more about his father all the while trying to survive high school. The best part of this book is Tom's trying to survive high school. The extreme torture of gym class, the embarrassment in front of the opposite sex, the ridiculous homework assignments...we've all been there. The language is a bit frank, but overall, a great read and one that adults will especially appreciate.

5 comments:

Caro said...

Is the novel appropriate for a sixteen-year old also?

Iamthebookworm said...

Thats a bit iffy. Depends on the maturity of the 16 year old I guess. It was marketed as a YA book, and School Library Journal says for grades 10 and up, but there is talk about oral sex and drug use. I usually tell parents to look over it themselves first. We don't actually have this at our library yet. I read someone's personal copy. The librarian who does the purchasing is having trouble deciding if it should go in YA or not.

Caro said...

I so hated high school so this is going on my must read list.

Then I'll decide if I should share it. I know she knows about drugs and oral sex but she hasn't trod that path. Well I'm 99.9% sure she hasn't.

Caro said...

I'm number one on the hold list at the library. I'll tell you how I like it.

Iamthebookworm said...

Please do let me know what you think and the sex and drugs are NOT the focus of the book, and not glorified. Because the main character is a dork.