Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Rain!

I am starting to get a bit anxious. Yes, so what else is new, right? We have not had rain in a very long time and its starting to get serious. My county said they have about 119 days left of water in the reservoirs. Now this does not affect me because I have a well, but I worry about it going dry. I am trying to conserve water. I don't water my lawn and I never wash my car. I buy bottled water to drink (because my well water tastes nasty) and I take short showers.

Everyone please hold out hope that it rains soon! I wonder if thats why my tree is so brown?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm getting worried about the drought, too. I collect water in the sink when I'm rinsing fruits and vegetables and use that to water the plants outside. I feel terrible for the local farmers.

Anonymous said...

hey bookworm- i've got a question for you. In hiking in PWFP, have you noticed a sort of parasite or insect on some of the tree branches? It resembles white fluff, and there's usually quite a bit of it. Under each of the infested branches is a blackened spot on the ground. In fact, M and I thought someone had been setting little fires, until we realized the connection to the branches.

Any idea what that is?? I've never seen anything like it.

Iamthebookworm said...

Liz...first, have you gotten any rain yet? None here and it threatened to this evening. Second, I have not noticed, but Sunday it was so hot I did not notice much of anything. Any idea what kind of tree? My pine tree was infected with some kind of bug that ate it from the inside out. I'll look next time I go to PWFP.

Anonymous said...

We got some rain Tuesday night, but precious little. It was over in a few seconds.

I'm not very good at identifying trees, but I don't recall them being pine trees, or any other coniferous variety. I found pictures of something called Wooley Adelgids (they attack hemlocks, i believe) that looked similar, but the white things we saw covered the branches and leaves completely. There were masses of them!

We were going to ask the ranger about them on our way out, but she was busy with incoming cars.

Kathy said...

No rain yet?

Iamthebookworm said...

Liz...did you see them on the North Valley Trail? I'll have to check next time I go.

Katya...STILL no rain. It threatened to yesterday, but nothing.