Wednesday, March 07, 2007

I am an idiot!

As you might have remembered from an earlier post, my CD burner stopped working when I installed Windows XP. I bought an external DVD burner. I chose the Sony because it was a name. I had enough hard disc space. My processor is fast enough. I thought I had enough RAM. I connected it and it froze when trying to burn a disc. Upon further examination of my machine I do NOT have enough RAM. I am an idiot. I have tried to look around to see if I can expand my memory in my PC, but it is so old, it appears to be too hard to find. I have the original box and egg carton material to re-pack it, but I do not have the little plastic baggies that everything came in. I guess I will try to return it to the store, but part of me thinks it was my own stupid fault for not checking my computer and that maybe I should suffer with losing the money. Plus, I don't know what to say to the store. "Sorry I have to return this. Everything is in the box, just not in the original plastic bags. No, its working fine, I am just stupid."

I went on a field trip yesterday with some other librarians in my library system and some people from the local museum. We went to the new American Civil War Center in Richmond on the site of the old Tredegar Iron Works. Then after lunch, we visited the Library of Virginia to see their special collections. It was absolutely fascinating. I have always been fascinated by history. I majored in history in college and Virginia is rich in history. Among the items he showed us was a paper signed by Lord Cornwallis during the battle of Yorktown, right before he surrendered, a history of the world printed in 1493-type hand set. It was before the printing press, and a collection of papers from George Washington. It was so interesting to see his signature on an original document. I know it sounds corny, but this is the kind of thing I love.

5 comments:

Joan said...

Don't feel badly...if it wasnt for my friend (the Computer Whiz), I'd still be in the Dark Ages without a computer. He tells me what I need...I write it down with every detail listed..I go out and buy it...he comes over and installs it. I know my limitations and, when it comes to computers, the list is very long!

Caro said...

You don't sound corny about the signature.

And if it weren't for my husband, my computer would never work.

Sarah Louise said...

I'm about to (when I get my taxes done and my refund) switch to XP, so it's good to be thinking about these sorts of things...

That signature thing sounds cool, from one librarian to another. Our field trips are like to see how other libraries do their tech serv dept. This one sounds FUN.

Iamthebookworm said...

Joan...thanks. I try to pick the brains of the library computer guys when I can, but off course they have their own things to do.

Caro...thanks!

Sarah Louise...XP works SO much better than my older (much much older) ME. Not having the CD drive is a pain, but I figure I'm save my pictures on my jump drive for backup.

Sarah Louise said...

ME is what I have now too. I'll have to watch out for the CD drive.