Friday, August 24, 2007

More to come!

Liz had a request for some of my favorite hiking trails. I am in Virginia, so they will be in the northern/central Virginia area. I have to look over some of my photos so that I can post some pictures too.

One that I like to visit (because it is not too long of a drive) is Prince William Forest Park. There are lots of trails that I like to hike, but one of the best is the South Valley Trail. It is quite long (about 9 miles) but I don't hike it all at once. I have picked sections to hike. In fact, this is the trail where there was the beaver activity in the earlier post. The trail follows a creek and it is quite peaceful.

Another park that I like to visit because it is not too far from my parents house is Antietam National Battlefield. I am a big civil war buff and this park is very well preserved because it was farm land then and it is farm land now. There is one trail that I started to walk on my last vacation. It is called the Snaveley's Ford trail. It goes beside Antietam creek, is in the woods, and has opportunities to catch glimpses of wildlife. I did not get to walk the entire trail, because when I was there it was starting to rain and I was afraid that it would turn into a storm.

I have pictures, but I need to find them!

More to come!

6 comments:

Caro said...

I wish I had a friend who liked to hike so I could join them. (Not sure what I would do with the kids.)

Iamthebookworm said...

Caro...I usually end up going by myself unless my nephew comes.

Kathy said...

I can't wait to see more pictures. I used to love to hike as well.

Iamthebookworm said...

Katya...I've got them off the camera, but I'm still sorting them.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Bookworm!

We just made another trip to Prince William Forest Park last weekend. We did the North Valley trail this time, and some smaller ones that connect. There's an excellent spot in Quantico Creek that's full of doggie-sized swimming holes. Alex likes it. :)

Iamthebookworm said...

I was just there last weekend, but I was on the other end of the park!