Monday, August 13, 2007

Hiking






One of my favorite things to do is to hike. Not hugely long hikes (I like modern bathroom facilities) but just to go walk in the woods for an hour or so makes me feel great. By the way, here is a book tie-in: A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. Absolutely hysterical! Bryson and his friend try to hike the Appalachian trail, and they are not exactly prepared.




Lately when I take pictures, I have been fascinated by the most interesting things.








This one is a picture of an interesting fungus on a log near a creek. I took this one with the camera on the cell phone.







This one is a close-up of some ferns on the ground in the national park. I discovered my digital camera has this close-up setting and I have been playing with it.






And here is the handiwork of a beaver. This one was taken months ago.

Thats all for now!

9 comments:

Kathy said...

You know, I thought about reading A Walk in the Woods off and on but haven't read it yet. Now that I know it's funny, I'll probably pick it up.

Iamthebookworm said...

Katya...you should try it. Bryson and his friend are definitely not prepared for the trail. One thing that sticks in my mind is his friend tries to pack little debbie snack cakes as his food instead of real food.

L said...

Such busy beavers in this heat hehehe.

Great pics.

Iamthebookworm said...

Lori...The beavers are actually hiding out in this heat I think! I took that picture maybe in April or May? There is no sign of it now.

Caro said...

I like the kind of hike you like. Alas, my boy child is not ready yet. He would be the one floundering off the trail in the poison oak.

L said...

The beavers have the right idea hiding to beat the heat.

Iamthebookworm said...

Caro...LOL. I am always VERY careful to stay on the trail. Especially since I got that poison ivy in January.

Lori...I don't blame them either!

Anonymous said...

Please pass on info about any of your favorite local trails. :)

Iamthebookworm said...

Liz...I will! That will be one of my next posts.